Yes, I realize that’s a bit of an aggressive statement; however, I’m standing by it. I made this soup about a week ago and still think of how amazing it was. It’s perfectly tasty, perfect for a chilly winter’s eve, super healthy + easy to make. A winning combo if you ask me 😉
Now that I’ve built it up, I really hope it lives up to the expectations (if you try it out).
Mexican Chicken Soup
Prep time: 30-minutes
Cook time: 20-minutes
- 2 tbsp. (50ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled + chopped
- 1 796-ml can of diced tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/4 tsp. dried cumin
- 1/4 tsp. dried coriander
- 1/8 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked + shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- few handfuls of corn tortilla chips
- 4 cups chicken broth
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake chicken breasts with drizzled olive oil for 30-minutes. When cooked through, shred chicken.
2) While chicken cooks, chop onion, carrot, bell pepper + cilantro.
3) Heat oil in a large pot + sauté garlic, onion, carrot + bell pepper until they start to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, spices + chicken broth, while stirring.
4) Bring to a boil, reduce heat + simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Add corn, black beans + cooked, shredded chicken. Continue to simmer for 4 minutes.
6) Divide among bowls + top with cilantro, lime juice, avocado + crumbled tortilla chips.
You’re welcome 😉
The combination of the lime + cilantro make my taste buds do a happy dance.
I’ve been really into home-made soups this winter. I find them to be the most comforting, delicious things to have for dinner on chilly nights. I also love making a huge batch for dinners & lunches and then also freezing some for later days.
Do you ever make home-made soups? What are your favourite combinations/recipes?
And how’s the weekend going, my friend? Today has been QUITE the lazy day for me, not going to deny it. With a gym in our condo building, it’s easy enough for me to feel sufficiently productive if I go to the gym + then putter around the condo. There have even been days where I haven’t left the house! Pathetic, right?! I did go to the gym this morning, though, I swear! It was nice to actually do some cardio + weights after doing yoga all week (Duncan and I bought a one-week unlimited pass to a studio around our place and have been going as much as possible).
Last night I went out for dinner at Oliver & Bonnachini with some of my best girlfriends. It was an awesome night of good food, drinks + chatter and just the best way to end a very stressful week.
What are your plans for the weekend? I hope you enjoy every minute!